Five Theatre Shows for Pre-Schoolers

Just a quickie for me today. This posts doesn't have all of my usual random musings, but instead is a roundup post of a the pre-school theatre options on offer over the next few months. There aren't many big shows which are suitable for pre-schoolers, but after seeing Stickman, The Scarecrow Wedding and The Hungry Caterpillar all advertised recently I thought I'd pull together all of the offerings from local theatres so they were in one place. I've loved looking at all of the trailers, some of the staging looks fab.

The Hungry Caterpillar at The Northern Stage

Another one where the video has me desperate to go. These youtube links will have cost me hundreds by the time I've finished this post. We went to see James and The Giant Peach at the Northern Stage last year and it was brilliant, my two would have been much too young for it, but I would have loved for them to see the props and staging, and now here is my chance! The video giving a sneak peak of this stage show looks amazing!

THU 18 MAY, 1.30pm
FRI 19 MAY, 10am

Tickets: £ 12.50 adults / £9.50 children

Shows: Thur 18 May: 1.30pm & Friday 19 May: 10am & 1:30pm

Info: The timeless classic makes its way off the page and onto the stage. Featuring a menagerie of 75 lovable puppets, faithfully adapting four of Eric Carle’s stories, The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse, Mister Seahorse, The Very Lonely Firefly and of course The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Ages: Most suitable for all aged 3+

Prices: £12.50 adults, £9.50 children

Stickman at Tyne THeatre and Opera House

This is one to book in soon if you fancy it as I'm sure it will sell out. I remember looking for tickets for the showing in Middlesborough a year or so ago and all of the tickets went straight away. I'm still deciding whether or not to book tickets - after watching the video below I really want to, it's not cheap at £43 for me and the two toddlers including booking fee, but I don't know if I'll regret it if we don't get them?

Shows: Mon 2 Oct: 1.30pm & 4.30pm & Tues 3 Oct 2017: 10.30am & 4.30pm

Info: Touching, funny and utterly original. This award-winning production features a trio of top actors and is packed full of puppetry, songs, live music and funky moves.

Ages: Most suitable for all aged 3+ but all ages welcome.

Prices: £14.50 adults, £12 under 16s, £48 family

The Scarecrows' Wedding at The Gala Theatre in Durham

Another Julia Donaldson classic, and produced by the same company as Stickman. When I checked there weren't loads of tickets left, but there was availability at each showing.

Shows: Tues 18 April: 2pm & 4pm & Weds 19 April 2017: 12pm & 2:30pm

Info: Betty O’Barley and Harry O’Hay are scarecrows . Harry loves Betty, and Betty loves Harry, so they decide to get married and Harry sets off to search for their wedding day essentials. However, when the farmer notices he is missing a scarecrow, he replaces Harry with the devilishly smooth but dangerous Reginald Rake. Can Reginald persuade Betty that he is the scarecrow for her? Will Harry make it back before Reginald ruins their special day? This adaptation is truly heart-warming and promises wit, drama, and wedding bells!

Ages: Most suitable for all aged 3+ but all ages welcome.

Prices: £12 adults, £10 under 16s, £40 family

Babe (The Sheep Pig) at The Theatre Royal

Not strictly for pre-schoolers (the recommended age is 5+ but I couldn't not include it. The trailer looks so cute with all of the animals. Another one to book soon if you fancy it as availability - especially in the stalls - looked limited.

Shows: Tues 13 June: 2pm & 5:30pm & Weds 14 June 2017: 2pm & 5:30pm

Ages: Most suitable for all aged 3+ but all ages welcome.

Prices: Between £8.50-12.50 adults and £6.50-10.50 children

The Elves and the Shoemaker at The Northern Stage

This one looks quite different from the rest as from the trailer there doesn't seem to be the big props the way there are in the others, but there are puppets, magic and some really funny scenes, so I think it would be a hit with pre-schoolers.

Shows:

Thur 20 April: 1:30pm & 3:30pm

Friday 21 April: 10:30am & 1:30pm

Sat 22 April: 10:30am & 1:30pm

Info: In this topsy-turvy re-telling of The Elves and The Shoemaker we meet Geoff, a lovable retired shoemaker. One day at the bottom of his garden he is visited by two magical friends who help him to recall the old days in the shoe shop, reliving the hard times, the good times and the magic! The show features original toe-tapping music, laugh out loud characters, puppetry and even a little bit of real magic!

Ages: Recommended age 4+

Prices: £12.50 adults / £9.50 children

Which one has caught your eye? Do you have any other recommendations that I've missed? Drop us a comment below.

To be kept up to date with events, new openings, and tot-friendly places to take the kids then use these links to find me on FacebookInstagram or Twitter for photos, blog posts and general chatter.